Your satisfaction with your life and work depends on your expectations and finding opportunities to use your strengths for work you value. Often finding value also includes being valued and able to contribute to solving a problem, creating something unique, or making a difference in your community or the world.
Knowing your underlying needs and desires will help you find what you want and know when you found it. What do you want or need that you don’t have now and what tasks have you already conquered? Answer each of the following questions.
Connect Your Career With Your Lifestyle:
- Do you earn enough money to maintain the lifestyle you are accustomed to?
- Do you have time to spend with family and friends?
- Do you take time to build a network and support system?
- Are you currently working to solve a problem or resolve a crisis with yourself or your family?
- Do you take time for exercise and healthful eating?
Power Up Your Job search:
- Are you satisfied with your job and level of income?
- Do you need more time for leisure and exercise?
- Do you need more money to meet your physical and/or emotional needs?
- Would you like more money or more prestige in your career field?
- Are you staying current with the knowledge and/or training in your field?
- Have you let your network know what you are passionate about and where you want to go in your career?
- Have you made a list of all possible places you might want to look for opportunities to grow your career?
- Have you made a list of places you would like to work that are off your typical radar?
- Are there any other types of work related to your training and expertise that you would like to investigate?
Showing Off Your Accomplished Resume:
- Have you made a list of skills and accomplishments you are proud of?
- Can you tell a short interesting story about how you used your skills or experience to solve a problem or make a difference at work or in your community?
- Did you prioritize skills for the job you want?
- Do you have your most relevant, highest level of skills, and education at the top of your resume?
- Have you used key words for your industry?
Is there anything from the list that you need to work on or need help with? Talk to a friend or contact a professional Personal Career Coach.